Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Beginning

After months of pouring over every blog I could find dealing with WS, I am finally creating my own. I suppose I'm tired of being on the outside and just looking in! Or, it could be the exhaustion I'm finally succumbing to after 15 months on this emotional roller coaster with WS. My beautiful baby girl was diagnosed at 3 months and I'm still struggling with some aspects of the diagnosis. Unlike some of you wiser parents, I immediately began googling Williams Syndrome the moment Abbi was tested. Why wait for the actual diagnosis? I couldn't help myself. I wanted to arm myself with as much information as possible. I wanted to feel like I had some control over this situation. But, as my cardiologist and pediatrician had warned, the internet only fed my worst fears and painted a bleak picture. UNTIL, I discovered the blogs and family websites of other WS families. It was then that I felt the first rays of hope.
Since then, I've been optimistic and thankful concerning Abbi. Well, when sleep deprivation strikes, I'm not always that optimistic, but I am definitely thankful. At first, I constantly wondered 'Why me? Why us' But, my loving sister helped me put those feeling into perspective with a simple response of 'Why not, you?' and my mother recovering from a near fatal illness added 'If you can't take care of Abbi, then who can? Who will?'
It has been those simple thoughts that have steadied me in this journey thus far. I've been blessed this last year with two wonderful miracles, Abbi and my Mom!
Now, that I've officially entered blogdom, I hope to use this blog to keep my family & friends updated. AND, I'll admit that I hope it brings my family connections with other WS families that can offer the wisdom of their experiences and the support & understanding that only they can offer.
In closing, I credit the loss of Baby Blake this last week for spurring me to start this blog rather than continuing to procrastinate. I was touched by the outpouring of love & support. On the outside looking in, I had followed his family's story and I, too, wept when I read that he had passed. My almost 4 year-old asked why I was crying, and I tried to gently explain that Mommy was sad for another Mommy's loss. Then, something wonderful happened, Charlie asked to look at all the photos posted. Then, he too was hooked, and we looked through many blogs, sharing in many families lives. That's when I knew that we, not just me, but my whole family needed this blog community.
Whew! I'm sure not all my posts will be this long, but I must admit that it feels great already!
God Bless and Goodnight!

9 comments:

Edna said...

Hi Mary,

Welcome! You express many of the sentiments I've been feeling about WS and needing to find the silver lining. I've only been participating for a couple of weeks, but I definitely find more hope, love and inspiration in the words of families who have a child with WS than anywhere else on the Web.

I will add your link to my blog and hope to see some pictures soon!

Best,
Edna (Carriella's Mom)

Connie said...

Hello! Thank you for your post to my blog. I look forward to hearing more about Abbi, and seeing some pictures! Where are you in the Midwest? We are in Michigan, about an hour north of Detroit.
I will also add your link to my blog.
Keep in touch!

Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Welcome! I am so excited to hear about Abbi Grace! I think you will find this group to be so helpful; you'll wonder how you survived without it. My only regret is that you waited so long to jump in.

By the way, we are in Michigan, too. About 1 1/2 hours north of Detroit.

I'm glad you're here!

Laura said...

Hi Mary,
So glad you decided to jump in to the blogging world!
Thank you for signing the guestbook on my blog.
I looking forward to heaing more about Abbi Grace.

Take care,
Laura

Noel said...

Welcome to the world of Blogging. It really has been great to be involved with this wonderful group of people.I hope that you get as much joy/understanding out of it as I have!
I look forward to learning more about your family.
Noel
Mom to Lathan, Hunter, Hannah and Abi (5 WS) ( we live in the midwest too...Missouri to be exact)

Unknown said...

Welcome Mary!

I hope you find all of the support that I have found with in this group! I want to welcome you more but my little turkey Ava Jewel just darted out of sight :0

Much love and peace
anna

Tara said...

Hi Mary! So glad you are joining us. We live in the midwest - Missouri. Where abouts in the midwest are you? I enjoy this little blog family and they give me more hope than I ever imagined I'd have. I'll be anxious to see some pictures of your kiddos!

Kerry said...

Welcome to the Blog Land~ I hope you find lots of great info and friendships here. It's good to know there are so many people who have gone through what you have already and can give you insight. Stop by anytime!

Nancy said...

Hope to meet you soon if you decide to attend the convention! Hang in there, baby!