Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Time has a way of slipping away...

I can't believe that I haven't posted in over a month. A lot has been happening. For the most part, we were busy with the usual- soccer games, family events, birthday parties, and day to day mundane chores! I'm really looking forward to school letting out next week and spending some time with the kids. Charlie has already voiced his desire for swim lessons and wants to know daily if its hot enough for the slip-n-slide. Surprisingly, Abbi also seems to have taken to the water this year and really enjoyed her float at the pool. She looked soooo cute in her cherry swim suit!

I've been battling lately with not only my own mood swings, but the bureaucracy of private insurance. My employer has changed providers, and Abbi's therapy group is no longer in network. Ok. So, I switch to one that is, right? Easy enough. BUT, (and there's always one) the waiting list in our area for OT and PT is between 6-8 months at the groups within network. SO logically, (mistake there) I would think my insurance would provide a waiver for my current OT until a place within network became available. I'm on three waiting lists. Because anyone should know that a child with a syndrome noted for developmental delays should not forgo therapy for any length of time!!! Suffice it to say, that I've been blessed once again. After battling this for almost two weeks, I received a call on Monday that a local (5 min drive) group has vacancies for the summer in PT & Speech. But, OT is still a little questionable. In the meantime, I'm thankful we have those two set, and I'm especially excited about the Speech therapy since she's never had this before and I think she will benefit the most from it right now.

While I'm venting, may I also just state that I'm sick of every physician and agency spouting off the wealth of support available to families with special needs children. Why? Because though support and services are available, they are very limited in their outreach due to the lack of funding and manpower. Therefore, for the most part, they offer a band-aid type fix!

Whew! Enough! As I stated, I'm battling my own moods right now. I'm just a little more quick tempered lately and I tend to focus too much on the negatives. When, I really have a lot of positives right now and should thank God for answering our prayers! Abbi is finally beginning to sleep for 6-7 hours at a time, and she is also starting to turn the pages of books and really cruise the furniture. Her sweet, bubbly and playful personality is starting to shine through. I'm amazed at how determined she is and curious about everything! She's Miss Nosey!
AND, I finally made our reservations for the National conference and confirmed some travel plans. I'm really looking forward to it!

Finally, the title of this blog- it has recently struck me that my baby boy only has one year of preschool left before he goes off to Kindergarten- I can't wrap my mind around that! And, that means that Abbi, my baby, is going to turn two and with some timid steps become a toddler any day now. Already, the struggle with her sleep is becoming more of a memory (still rather vivid at times :) and I'm focusing more on the joys of having both Charlie and Abbi. Time does have a way of marching on...

3 comments:

Penny said...

They grow up so fast, don't they? So glad to hear that you were able to get therapy worked out. Sounds like she is making great progress!

Tara said...

I'm so glad Abbi is beginning to sleep better for you. It makes life so much easier, doesn't it? Glad the therapy situation has worked out. Our kids grow up way too fast!!

Noel said...

I am so happy to hear from you! I am glad that things witht he kids are going well. Insurance is always an issue for us. Trying to make everyone happy and still get something you need out of the deal is difficult at times with insurance companies.
Kids grow up very quickly. You step back and look at them and realize...where did all that time go? Enjoy your kids!!

Noel