Thursday, March 6, 2008

What really matters?

For the first time this week, I feel a real sense of calmness. Perhaps, it's because the weekend is finally within sight or I'm too tired to whine, moan, or complain one more day. Either way, I feel at peace tonight. After bickering last night with my hubby over stupid household chores & overreacting to my almost 4 year-olds accident (yes, on my bed), I woke up and felt terribly tired, sad, and still frustrated. I wanted to kick something! Why did I fuss so much at Charlie over wetting his pants? Yes, he's too old for accidents, especially when I had just changed him into his PJs and told him to go potty. But, more importantly why would he sit down to a favorite show on Noggin and wet himself (and did I mention on my bed)? Who was I really angry with, myself or him? A little of both, but really myself. Why has he had two accidents in the last week or so? Is he trying to tell us something? Is he mad at me for taking a class on Wednesday nights? For being too tired (grumpy) lately? Does he feel neglected or jealous over Abbi? Is he mad that Daddy is taking classes? WHY? Then, already feeling this stress, I realized that we had missed the bulk trash pick-up by minutes! At this point, I wanted to just kick my husband. Somehow it was his fault that the trash was piling up and my life was filled with chaos. Yes, it would take several hours and a little " Where for art thou, Romeo?" and some upper classmen's laughs about a video on Utube before I'd realize that the problem is really me. Yes, my life is chaotic at times. Yes, my husband can be a slob and forgetful. Yes, my son can throw tantrums and have accidents! Yes, my princess can be demanding. But, overall, what really matters? I smiled thinking about my son Charlie's recent fascination with dinosaurs and mastery of his alphabet. He loves to tell us what different things begin with, like cat starts with C. Abbi is doing remarkably well. She's crawling so well and pulling up on everything. I think she's said a few words like "No" and "Yes" in addition to Mama and Dada. She's resting better. She's starting to play with toys!! What's my problem? I'm forgetting to focus on what really matters! Who cares if the house is a mess or if the laundry/trash piles up? I'm reminded that I've been blessed with two beautiful children and a husband that truly loves us. The rest doesn't matter. At least, not for tonight!

4 comments:

Noel said...

Totally true! I find myself doing the same thing. Every once in awhile you have to step back and refocas.
My Grandma who raised 8 kids used to always tell me " Your kids won't every remember if you didn't do the dishes everynight. They will always remember that you took the time to color, read or sit with them."
Noel

Katie said...

Hi :) I just found your blog through Noels, its great to see our little community growing again!
Your kids are just beautiful and i look forward to getting to know you!

Katie

camille said...

Your kids are so cute. That picture of Abbi in her highchair is SOOOO adorable!
Sounds like Abbi is doing awesome with her speech. I have yet to hear a "mama" from Connor but everyday I'm one day closer to that happening.
Hope you have a relaxing weekend.

Julie said...

Hi, my name is Julie. Welcome to the family. My son is Noah. He is 2. Noah was diagnosed at 7 months old. Your children are beautiful. I hope this blog helps you as much as it has helped me.